WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
zing•er /ˈzɪŋɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Informal Termsa quick, clever, or sharp remark or answer.
- Informal Termssomething that surprises or shocks, as a piece of news.
zing•er (zing′ər),USA pronunciation n. [Informal.]
- Informal Termsa quick, witty, or pointed remark or retort:During the debate she made a couple of zingers that deflated the opposition.
- Informal Termsa surprise, shock, or piece of electrifying news:The President's resignation was a real zinger.
- Informal Termsa person or thing that has vitality or animation or produces startling results.
- zing + -er1 1950–55