WordReference can't find this exact phrase, but click on each word to see its meaning:
We could not find the full phrase you were looking for.
The entry for "wrestle" is displayed below.
Also see: with
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
wres•tle /ˈrɛsəl/USA pronunciation
v., -tled, -tling, n. v.
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- to compete (with) in the sport of wrestling: [no object]He wrestled for his high school team.[~ + object]She wrestled the best opponents in each school.
- to fight or struggle (with) by holding, throwing, or forcing an attacker to the ground: [~ + object]He wrestled the mugger to the ground.[no object]They wrestled until one of them fell.
- to struggle (with) in order to overcome, figure out, defeat, etc.;
contend:[no object]He wrestled with the serious problem.
wres•tler, n. [countable]
- an act or bout of wrestling.
(res′əl),USA pronunciation v., -tled, -tling, n. v.i.
- to engage in wrestling.
- to contend, as in a struggle for mastery;
grapple:to wrestle with one's conscience.
- to contend with in wrestling.
- to force by or as if by wrestling.
- to throw (a calf or other animal) for branding.
- an act of or a bout at wrestling.
- a struggle.
- bef. 1100; Middle English wrestlen, wrastlen (verb, verbal), Old English *wrǣstlian (compare Old English wrǣstlere wrestler), frequentative of wrǣstan to wrest; cognate with Middle Dutch, Middle Low German worstelen
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
wrestle /ˈrɛsəl/ vb
- to fight (another person) by holding, throwing, etc, without punching with the closed fist
- (intransitive) to participate in wrestling
- when intr, followed by with or against: to fight with (a person, problem, or thing): wrestle with one's conscience
- (transitive) to move laboriously, as with wrestling movements
- (transitive) US Canadian to throw (an animal) for branding
Etymology: Old English wræstlian; related to Middle Dutch wrastelen (Dutch worstelen), Old Norse rost current, raceˈwrestler n
- the act of wrestling
- a struggle or tussle
'wrestle with' also found in these entries: