- widely known; famous; celebrated
- known fully or clearly
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
well-known /ˈwɛlˈnoʊn/USA pronunciation adj.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- fully or thoroughly known:These facts are well-known and clearly established; we will not dispute them here.
- widely known;
famous:a well-known rock star.
well-known (wel′nōn′),USA pronunciation adj.
- clearly or fully known:The well-known reasons are obvious.
- generally or widely known:a well-known painting.
- late Middle English 1425–75
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . prominent, famous, noted, celebrated.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
well-known adj (well known when postpositive)
'well known' also found in these entries:
Arnaud - Beach-la-Mar - Cruden - Muskogean - OK - Stieglitz - Tannhäuser - Winchester disk - Winston - anchor - appersonation - ardor - brand name - burlesque - cameo - cash cow - catch phrase - catchcry - celebrated - celebrity - clerihew - commonplace - conditioned response - copycat - derrick - designer - face - fairy ring - famed - familiar - familiarize - famously - fantasia - figure - guest - hear - historic - household name - identity - karaoke - knock off - landmark - map - movieoke - nightingale - noble - noted - notorious - part - persona