- health, happiness, prosperity, and well-being in general
- financial and other assistance given to people in need
- (as modifier): welfare services
- Also called: welfare work plans or work to better the social or economic conditions of various underprivileged groups
- on welfare ⇒ chiefly US Canadian in receipt of financial aid from a government agency or other source
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
wel•fare /ˈwɛlˌfɛr/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- health, happiness, and prosperity;
- Governmentassistance given by government to those in need;
public relief:He is receiving welfare. He is on welfare.
wel•fare (wel′fâr′),USA pronunciation n.
- the good fortune, health, happiness, prosperity, etc., of a person, group, or organization;
well-being:to look after a child's welfare; the physical or moral welfare of society.
- GovernmentSee welfare work.
- Governmentfinancial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government:Thousands of jobless people in this city would starve if it weren't for welfare.
- Government(cap.) [Informal.]a governmental agency that provides funds and aid to people in need, esp. those unable to work.
- Governmenton welfare, receiving financial aid from the government or from a private organization because of hardship and need.
- Middle English, from phrase wel fare. See well1, fare 1275–1325
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
welfare /ˈwɛlˌfɛə/ n
'welfare' also found in these entries:
Apex Club - Branting - D.S.W. - Department of Education - Department of Health and Human Services - Department of Health, Education, and Welfare - Department of Labor - Gardner - Junior League - Lang - M.S.W. - Palestinian National Authority - Perón - advantage - aftercare - agency - almoner - altruism - altruist - altruistic - asocial - bankrupt worm - care plan - cause - child abuse - child welfare - circumstance - circumstanced - circumstantial - client - client state - commonweal - commonwealth - community chest - companionate marriage - concern - conservation grade - consul - consumerist - corporate - corporate welfare - council - crime - daycare - daycentre - demonstrable - economic - economics - egoism - guardian angel