WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
ven•tril•o•quist (ven tril′ə kwist),USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a person who performs or is skilled in ventriloquism.
- ventriloqu(y) + -ist 1650–60
ven•tril•o•quism /vɛnˈtrɪləˌkwɪzəm/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the art or practice of speaking with little or no lip movement so that the voice does not appear to come from the speaker but from another source.
ven•tril•o•quism (ven tril′ə kwiz′əm),USA pronunciation n.
- Medieval Latin ventriloquium, equivalent. to Late Latin ventriloqu(us) a ventriloquist (ventri- ventri- + -loquus, derivative of loquī to speak) + -ium -ium) + -ism
- ventriloqu(y) ( 1790–1800
'ventriloquist' also found in these entries: