- Brit NZ South African informal university, formerly used esp at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
var•si•ty /ˈvɑrsɪti/USA pronunciation n., pl. -ties, adj.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Sporta principal team, esp. in sports, representing a school, college, or university.
- [Chiefly Brit.]university.
- of or relating to a school or university varsity.
var•si•ty (vär′si tē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -ties, adj.
- any first-string team, esp. in sports, that represents a school, college, university, or the like:He is on the varsity in tennis and in debating.
- [Chiefly Brit. Informal.]university.
- of or pertaining to a university or school team, activity, or competition: a varsity debater.
- 1840–50; compare versity university, in 17th century; pronunciation, pronounced probably preserves historical outcome of Middle English ĕr, as in varmint
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
varsity /ˈvɑːsɪtɪ/ n ( pl -ties)
'varsity' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):