- the act of varying or the quality, state, or degree of being divergent; discrepancy
- an instance of diverging; dissension
- at variance ⇒ (often followed by with) (of facts, etc) not in accord; conflicting
- (of persons) in a state of dissension
- a measure of dispersion obtained by taking the mean of the squared deviations of the observed values from their mean in a frequency distribution
- a difference or discrepancy between two steps in a legal proceeding, esp between a statement in a pleading and the evidence given to support it
- the number of degrees of freedom of a system, used in the phase rule
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
var•i•ance /ˈvɛriəns/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Governmenta permit to do something normally regulated by law, esp. to build in a way that is otherwise forbidden by a zoning law.
- Idiomsat variance, in a state of disagreement:His views were at variance with mine.
var•i•ance (vâr′ē əns),USA pronunciation n.
- the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
- an instance of varying;
- StatisticsAlso called mean square deviation. the square of the standard deviation.
- Physicsthe number of degrees of freedom of a system.
- a difference or discrepancy, as between two statements or documents in law that should agree.
- a departure from the cause of action originally stated in the complaint.
- Governmentan official permit to do something normally forbidden by regulations, esp. by building in a way or for a purpose normally forbidden by a zoning law or a building code.
- a disagreement, dispute, or quarrel.
- at variance:
- (of things) in a state of difference or disagreement.
- (of persons) in a state of controversy or dissension:at variance with one's superiors.
- Latin variantia, equivalent. to vari(āre) to vary) + -antia -ance
- Middle English 1300–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
variance /ˈvɛərɪəns/ n
'variance' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
McMansion - absurd - ajar - analysis of variance - central limit theorem - chi-square distribution - conflict - contradict - contradiction - correlation ratio - counterculture - covariance - degree of freedom - differ - discord - discordant - discrepancy - discrepant - dissonant - disunite - diverge - eddy - errancy - friendly - heresy - heterodox - homoscedastic - inconsistent - interpose - mean square deviation - mediator - mediatrix - normal distribution - odds - out - phase rule - population parameter - sampling statistic - self-variance - stochastic - syncopation - unconstitutional - undercurrent - unnatural - unparliamentary - unprofessional - unreasonable - variance analysis - weighted average