- to remove the strings of
- (of beads, pearls, etc) to remove or take from a string
- to weaken or enfeeble emotionally (a person or his nerves)
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
un•string (un string′),USA pronunciation v.t., -strung, -string•ing.
- Music and Danceto deprive of strings:to unstring a violin.
- to take from a string:to unstring beads.
- Music and Danceto loosen the strings of:to unstring a bow.
- to relax the tension of.
- to relax unduly, or weaken (the nerves).
- to weaken the nerves of.
- un-2 + string 1605–15
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
unstring /ʌnˈstrɪŋ/ vb ( -strings, -stringing, -strung)(transitive)
'unstring' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):