- the principles of trade unions
- adherence to the principles of trade unions
- the principle or theory of any union
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Businessthe principle of union, esp. trade unionism.
- Businessattachment to a union.
- American History(cap.) loyalty to the federal union of the United States of America, esp. at the time of the Civil War.
- union + -ism 1835–45
- Businessto organize (workers) into a labor union: [~ + object]to unionize the workers.[no object]The workers unionized.
- Businessto form into a union.
- Businessto organize into a labor union;
bring into or incorporate in a labor union.
- Businessto subject to the rules of a labor union.
- Businessto form a union.
- Businessto join in a labor union.
- union + -ize 1835–45
- (sometimes not capital) the principles or adherence to the principles of Unionists