- an appointment to meet, esp secretly
- the place of such a meeting or the meeting itself
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
tryst /trɪst/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- an appointment for a meeting, esp. one made secretly by lovers.
tryst (trist, trīst),USA pronunciation n.
- an appointment to meet at a certain time and place, esp. one made somewhat secretly by lovers.
- an appointed meeting.
- an appointed place of meeting.
- Scottish Terms[Chiefly Scot.]to make an appointment or arrange a meeting with.
- Scottish Terms[Chiefly Scot.]to make an appointment or agreement.
- Gmc; compare Gothic trausti agreement, arrangement, akin to Middle English trist confidence (Old English *tryst). See trow, trust
- Old French
- Middle English triste set hunting-station 1325–75
- 1, 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged assignation.
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged –3. rendezvous.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
tryst /trɪst; traɪst/ archaic or literary n
'tryst' also found in these entries: