- a state of fear or anxiety
- a condition of quaking or palpitation, esp one caused by anxiety
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
trep•i•da•tion /ˌtrɛpɪˈdeɪʃən/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- fear, alarm, or worry:approaching marriage with trepidation.
trep•i•da•tion (trep′i dā′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- tremulous fear, alarm, or agitation;
- trembling or quivering movement;
- Latin trepidātiōn- (stem of trepidātiō), equivalent. to trepidāt(us) (past participle of trepidāre to hurry, alarm; see trepid, -ate1) + -iōn- -ion
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged trembling, fright.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged quivering, shaking.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
trepidation /ˌtrɛpɪˈdeɪʃən/ n
'trepidation' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):