- (esp formerly) a wooden board on which food was served or cut
- Also called: trencher cap
another name for mortarboard
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
trench•er (tren′chər),USA pronunciation n.
- a person or thing that digs trenches.
- Mechanical Engineeringditchdigger (def. 3).
- a rectangular or circular flat piece of wood on which meat, or other food, is served or carved.
- such a piece of wood and the food on it.
the pleasures of good eating.
- Anglo-French; Middle French trencheoir. See trench, -ory2
- Middle English trenchour something to cut with or on 1275–1325
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
trencher /ˈtrɛntʃə/ n
'trencher' also found in these entries: