WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
tra•ge•di•an /trəˈdʒidiən/USA pronunciation
n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Show Businessan actor noted for performing tragic roles.
- Literaturea writer of tragedy.
(trə jē′dē ən),USA pronunciation n.
- an actor especially noted for performing tragic roles.
- a writer of tragedy.
- Middle French
- 1325–75; tragedy + -an; replacing Middle English tragedien
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
tragedian /trəˈdʒiːdɪən/, (feminine)tragedienne /trəˌdʒiːdɪˈɛn/ n
- an actor who specializes in tragic roles
- a writer of tragedy
'tragedian' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):