- chiefly US Canadian a short tack with a broad smooth head for fastening papers to a drawing board, etc
Also called (esp in Britain): drawing pin
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
thumb•tack /ˈθʌmˌtæk/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Buildinga tack with a large, flat head, to be pushed into a board by the pressure of the thumb.
thumb•tack (thum′tak′),USA pronunciation n.
- Buildinga tack with a large, flat head, designed to be thrust into a board or other fairly soft object or surface by the pressure of the thumb.
- Buildingto attach or tack by means of a thumbtack.
- thumb + tack1 1880–85, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
thumbtack /ˈθʌmˌtæk/ n
'thumbtack' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):