- the condition of being superfluous
- a quantity or thing that is in excess of what is needed
- a thing that is not needed
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the state of being superfluous.
- a superabundant or excessive amount.
- something superfluous, as a luxury.
- Latin superfluitās. See superfluous, -ity
- Old French
- Middle English superfluite 1350–1400
- being more than is enough; too much;
excessive:Get rid of those superfluous exclamation points.
- being more than is sufficient or required;
- unnecessary or needless.
- [Obs.]possessing or spending more than enough or necessary;
- Latin superfluus, equivalent. to super- super- + flu- (stem of fluere to flow) + -us -ous
- late Middle English 1400–50
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged extra;