- a fore-and-aft sail or a mast that is aftermost in a sailing vessel
- informal something outstandingly fine or large
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
spank•er (spang′kər),USA pronunciation n.
- Nautical, Naval Terms
- a fore-and-aft sail on the aftermost lower mast of a sailing vessel having three or more masts. See diag. under ship.
- a designation given to the mast abaft a mizzenmast, usually the aftermost mast in any vessel.
- Informal Termsa smartly moving person or animal, esp. a fast horse.
- Dialect Terms[Chiefly New England.]something remarkably fine.
- Nautical, Naval Termsof or pertaining to a spanker mast or its rigging.
- akin to spanking 1745–55
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
spanker /ˈspæŋkə/ n
'spanker' also found in these entries: