- the Japanese warrior caste that provided the administrative and fighting aristocracy from the 11th to the 19th centuries
- a member of this aristocracy
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
sam•u•rai /ˈsæmʊˌraɪ/USA pronunciation n.[countable], pl. -rai. (in feudal Japan)WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- World Historya member of the warrior class.
sam•u•rai (sam′ŏŏ rī′),USA pronunciation n., pl. -rai. [Japanese Hist.]
- World Historya member of the hereditary warrior class in feudal Japan.
- World Historya retainer of a daimyo.
- Japanese, earlier samurafi to serve, equivalent. to sa- prefix + morafi watchfully wait (frequentative of mor- to guard)
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
ˈsæmjʊ-/ n ( pl -rai)
'samurai' also found in these entries: