- any of various muscles that retract an organ or part
- an instrument for holding back the edges of a surgical incision or organ or part
- a person or thing that retracts
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
re•trac•tor (ri trak′tər),USA pronunciation n.
- a person or thing that retracts.
- Anatomya muscle that retracts an organ or protruded part.
- Surgeryan instrument or appliance for drawing back an impeding part, as the edge of an incision.
- a mechanism, device, or the like that regulates retraction:to adjust the retractor on a seat belt.
- retract1 + -or2 1830–40
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
retractor /rɪˈtræktə/ n