- any of the prickly shrubs of the rosaceous genus Rubus, such as R. strigosus of E North America and R. idaeus of Europe, that have pinkish-white flowers and typically red berry-like fruits (drupelets)
See also bramble
- the fruit of any such plant
- (as modifier): raspberry jelly
- a dark purplish-red colour
- (as adjective): a raspberry dress
- a spluttering noise made with the tongue and lips to express contempt (esp in the phrase blow a raspberry)
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biologythe fruit of a shrub of the rose family, made up of small and juicy red, black, or pale yellow berries.
- Plant Biologya shrub bearing this fruit.
- a reddish purple color, similar to the color of many raspberries.
- Informal Termsa loud spluttering noise made by blowing out air with the lips and tongue, used to express contempt or displeasure.
- Plant Biologythe fruit of any of several shrubs belonging to the genus Rubus, of the rose family, consisting of small and juicy red, black, or pale yellow drupelets forming a detachable cap about a convex receptacle.
- Plant Biologyany shrub bearing this fruit.
- a dark reddish-purple color.
- Informal Terms
- See Bronx cheer.
- any sign or expression of dislike or derision.
- ?) + berry; (def. 4) by shortening of raspberry tart, rhyming slang for fart
- earlier rasp(is) raspberry ( 1615–25