WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- the quality or state of being punctual.
- strict observance in keeping engagements;
- punctual + -ity 1610–20
- being on time; prompt:He was always punctual for meetings.
punc•tu•al•ly, adv. See -punct-.
- strictly observant of an appointed or regular time;
- made, occurring, etc., at the scheduled or proper time:punctual payment.
- pertaining to or of the nature of a point.
- Medieval Latin pūnctuālis of a point, equivalent. to Latin pūnctu(s) a point, a pricking (pung(ere) to prick + -tus suffix of verb, verbal action) + -ālis -al1; see pungent
- Middle English 1350–1400