- a nun holding an office in her convent corresponding to that of a prior in a male religious order
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
pri•or•ess /ˈpraɪərɪs/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Religiona woman in a convent or abbey who is ranked next below an abbess.
pri•or•ess (prī′ər is),USA pronunciation n.
- Religiona woman holding a position corresponding to that of a prior, sometimes ranking next below an abbess.
- Old French. See prior2, -ess
- Middle English prioresse 1250–1300
- See -ess.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
ˈprioress /ˈpraɪərɪs/ n
'prioress' also found in these entries: