- another name for potassium carbonate, esp the form obtained by leaching wood ash
- another name for potassium hydroxide
- potassium chemically combined in certain compounds: chloride of potash
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
pot•ash /ˈpɑtˌæʃ/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Chemistrya white, powdery substance, potassium carbonate, esp. the crude impure form taken from wood ashes.
pot•ash (pot′ash′),USA pronunciation n.
- Chemistrypotassium carbonate, esp. the crude impure form obtained from wood ashes.
- Chemistrypotassium hydroxide.
- Chemistrythe oxide of potassium, K2O.
- Chemistrypotassium, as carbonate of potash.
- back formation from plural pot-ashes, translation of early Dutch potasschen. See pot1, ash1 1615–25
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
potash /ˈpɒtˌæʃ/ n
'potash' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):