- a conceited, foppish, or excessively talkative person
- an archaic word for parrot
- the figure of a parrot used as a target
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
pop•in•jay (pop′in jā′),USA pronunciation n.
- a person given to vain, pretentious displays and empty chatter;
- Birds[Brit. Dial.]a woodpecker, esp. the green woodpecker.
- British Terms[Archaic.]the figure of a parrot usually fixed on a pole and used as a target in archery and gun shooting.
- [Archaic.]a parrot.
- Arabic bab(ba)ghā'
- Spanish papagayo
- Middle French papegai, papingay parrot
- Middle English papejay, popingay, papinjai(e) 1275–1325
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
popinjay /ˈpɒpɪnˌdʒeɪ/ n
'popinjay' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):