Inflections of 'plasmodium' (nnoun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc.): nplplural noun: Noun always used in plural form--for example, "jeans," "scissors.": plasmodia
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
(plaz mō′dē əm),USA pronunciation n., pl. -di•a
(plaz mō′dē əm),USA pronunciation
- Microbiology[Biol.]an ameboid, multinucleate mass or sheet of cytoplasm characteristic of some stages of organisms, as of myxomycetes or slime molds.
- Microbiologyany parasitic protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, causing malaria in humans.
- Neo-Latin; see plasm-, -ode1, -ium
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
plasmodium /plæzˈməʊdɪəm/ n ( pl -dia / -dɪə/)
Etymology: 19th Century: New Latin; see plasma, -ode1plasˈmodial adj
- an amoeboid mass of protoplasm, containing many nuclei: a stage in the life cycle of certain organisms, esp the nonreproductive stage of the slime moulds
- any parasitic sporozoan protozoan of the genus Plasmodium, such as P. falciparum and P. vivax, which cause malaria
'plasmodium' also found in these entries: