- (often plural) a character in a play, novel, etc
- (in Jungian psychology) the mechanism that conceals a person's true thoughts and feelings, esp in his adaptation to the outside world
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a person.
- Literaturepersonae, the characters in a play, novel, etc.
- Literaturethe narrator of or a character in a literary work, sometimes identified with the author.
- Psychology(in the psychology of C. G. Jung) the mask or façade presented to satisfy the demands of the situation or the environment and not representing the inner personality of the individual;
the public personality (contrasted with anima).
- Psychologya person's perceived or evident personality, as that of a well-known official, actor, or celebrity;
- Latin persōna mask, character. See person