- a member of a class of low social status that depends on either cottage industry or agricultural labour as a means of subsistence
- informal a person who lives in the country; rustic
- informal an uncouth or uncultured person
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
peas•ant /ˈpɛzənt/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
adj. [before a noun]
- a member of a class of small farmers of low social rank, as in Europe:tried to unify the workers and peasants.
- an uneducated person lacking in good manners.
adj. [before a noun]
- of or relating to peasants.
peas•ant (pez′ənt),USA pronunciation n.
- a member of a class of persons, as in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, who are small farmers or farm laborers of low social rank.
- a coarse, unsophisticated, boorish, uneducated person of little financial means.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of peasants or their traditions, way of life, crafts, etc.
- Clothingof or designating a style of clothing modeled on the folk costumes of Western cultures, esp. women's full-sleeved, round-necked blouses and long, full skirts.
- Gmc (see -ing3)
- Late Latin pāgēnsis, equivalent. to Latin pāg(us) country district + -ēnsis -ensis) + -enc
- Anglo-French paisant, Old French païsant, earlier païsenc, equivalent. to païs country (
- late Middle English paissaunt 1375–1425
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
peasant /ˈpɛzənt/ n
'peasant' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
Barbizon School - Baucis - Bernadette of Lourdes - Boer - Breughel - Brueghel - Deledda - Jacquerie - Jordaens - Lourdes - Rasputin - Till Eulenspiegel - Tyrolean - Vendée - Whiteboys - baba - babushka - bachelor - bodice - boor - boorish - campesino - cholo - churl - clown - cotter - countryman - dirndl - disguise - fellah - frock - gopak - guajira - hind - ignoble - jack - jacket - kern - kisan - kulak - major - mir - muzhik - pagan - paisano - paletot - peasant proprietor - peasantry - peon - robot