- a bucket, esp one made of wood or metal
- Also called: pailful the quantity that fills a pail
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
pail /peɪl/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a container with a handle;
- the amount filling a pail:dumping pails of water on them.
pail (pāl),USA pronunciation n.
- the amount filling a pail.
- Latin patella; see patella
- bef. 1000; Middle English payle wooden container, continuing Old English pægel wine container, liquid measure (of unknown origin, originally; compare Middle Dutch, Low German pegel half pint), by association with Old French paielle pan
- 1. See bucket.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
pail /peɪl/ n
'pail' also found in these entries: