- a person who goes in advance to investigate, discover a way, etc; scout
- a person who rides in front of or beside a carriage, esp as an attendant or guard
- US a mounted herdsman
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
out•rid•er (out′rī′dər),USA pronunciation n.
- a mounted attendant riding before or beside a carriage.
- (at a racetrack) a mounted rider who accompanies or leads a racehorse to the post.
- a person who goes in advance of an automobile or person to clear a passage.
- a person who leads the way or is a member of a vanguard;
- a person who rides out or forth, esp. a scout, cowhand, ranch hand, or the like.
- 1300–50; Middle English: official in a monastery; see out-, rider
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
outrider /ˈaʊtˌraɪdə/ n
'outrider' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):