- the act of nominating or state of being nominated, esp as an election candidate
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
nom•i•na•tion /ˌnɑməˈneɪʃən/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
the state or condition of being nominated:[uncountable]His nomination was assured.See -nom-2.
- [countable] an act or instance of nominating:There are two nominations for the award.
nom•i•na•tion (nom′ə nā′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- an act or instance of nominating, esp. to office:The floor is open for nomination of candidates for the presidency.
- the state of being nominated.
- Latin nōminātiōn- (stem of nōminātiō) a naming, nomination. See nominate, -ion
- late Middle English 1375–1425
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
ˌnomiˈnation /ˌnɒmɪˈneɪʃən/ n
'nomination' also found in these entries: