WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
nod•al (nōd′l),USA pronunciation adj.WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
- pertaining to or of the nature of a node.
- node + -al1 1825–35
node /noʊd/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a knot or knob of something that sticks up or out.
- a centering point of parts, lines, etc., that come together.
- Anatomya knotlike mass of tissue:a lymph node.
- Botanya part of a stem from which a leaf or branch grows.
node (nōd),USA pronunciation n.
- a knot, protuberance, or knob.
- a centering point of component parts.
- Anatomya knotlike mass of tissue:lymph node.
- Pathologycircumscribed swelling.
- Botanya joint in a stem.
- Botanya part of a stem that normally bears a leaf.
- Mathematicsknot (def. 12).
- Mathematics[Geom.]a point on a curve or surface at which there can be more than one tangent line or tangent plane.
- Physicsa point, line, or region in a standing wave at which there is relatively little or no vibration.
- Astronomyeither of the two points at which the orbit of a heavenly body intersects a given plane, esp. the plane of the ecliptic or of the celestial equator. Cf. ascending node, descending node.
- Linguisticsan element of a tree diagram that represents a constituent of a linguistic construction.
- OpticsSee nodal point.
- Civil Engineering[Engin.]See panel point.
- Latin nōdus knot
'nodal' also found in these entries: