- a short, lyrical piece of music, esp one for the piano
- a painting or tone poem of a night scene
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
noc•turne /ˈnɑktɜrn/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Music and Dancean artistic work appropriate to the night, esp. a dreamy piece of music for the piano.
noc•turne (nok′tûrn),USA pronunciation n. [Music.]
- Music and Dancea piece appropriate to the night or evening.
- Music and Dancean instrumental composition of a dreamy or pensive character.
- French nocturne. See nocturn
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
nocturne /ˈnɒktɜːn/ n
'nocturne' also found in these entries: