- a small breed of horse, often wild or half wild, found in the southwestern US
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
mus•tang /ˈmʌstæŋ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Dog and Cat Breedsa small, strong horse of the American plains.
mus•tang (mus′tang),USA pronunciation n.
- Mammalsa small, hardy horse of the American plains, descended from Spanish stock.
- Military[U.S. Navy Slang.]a naval officer who received his commission while still an enlisted man.
- to round up wild horses, esp. in order to sell them illegally to slaughterhouses.
- Latin (animālia) mixta mixed (beasts), neuter plural adjective, adjectival, taken as feminine singular noun; see mixed) + -engo adjective, adjectival suffix
- Spanish mestengo stray or ownerless beast, noun, nominal use of masculine adjective, adjectival: pertaining to a mixed lot of beasts, equivalent. to mest(a) such a mixed lot (
- 1800–10, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
mustang /ˈmʌstæŋ/ n
'mustang' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):