- a thick scarf, collar, etc
- US Canadian any device designed to reduce noise, esp the tubular device containing baffle plates in the exhaust system of a motor vehicle
Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): silencer
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
muf•fler /ˈmʌflɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Clothinga scarf worn around the neck for warmth.
- Automotivea device for deadening sound:With the muffler loose, the car rumbled noisily down the street.
muf•fler (muf′lər),USA pronunciation n.
- Clothinga scarf worn around one's neck for warmth.
- Automotiveany of various devices for deadening sound, as the sound of escaping gases of an internal-combustion engine.
- anything used for muffling.
- Heraldry[Armor.]a mittenlike glove worn with a mail hauberk.
- muffle + -er1 1525–35
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
muffler /ˈmʌflə/ n
'muffler' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):