- slang rare a street urchin
- (formerly) one who made a living by picking up odds and ends in the mud of tidal rivers
- Austral slang a racehorse that runs well on a wet or muddy course
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
mud•lark (mud′lärk′),USA pronunciation n.
- British Terms[Chiefly Brit.]a person who gains a livelihood by searching for iron, coal, old ropes, etc., in mud or low tide.
- British Terms[Chiefly Brit. Informal.]a street urchin.
- Birdseither of two black and white birds, Grallina cyanoleuca, of Australia, or G. bruijni, of New Guinea, that builds a large, mud nest.
- to grub or play in mud.
- mud + lark1 1790–1800
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
mudlark /ˈmʌdˌlɑːk/ n