- military spirit; pursuit of military ideals
- domination by the military in the formulation of policies, ideals, etc, esp on a political level
- a policy of maintaining a strong military organization in aggressive preparedness for war
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
mil•i•ta•rism /ˈmɪlɪtəˌrɪzəm/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a strong military spirit or policy;
maintenance of a large military establishment.
mil•i•ta•rism (mil′i tə riz′əm),USA pronunciation n.
- a strong military spirit or policy.
- the principle or policy of maintaining a large military establishment.
- the tendency to regard military efficiency as the supreme ideal of the state and to subordinate all other interests to those of the military.
- Latin mīlitār(is) military) + -isme -ism
- French militarisme, equivalent. to militar- (
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
militarism /ˈmɪlɪtəˌrɪzəm/ n
'militarism' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):