- a unit of length equal to 10–6 metre. It is being replaced by the micrometre, the equivalent SI unit
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
mi•cron /ˈmaɪkrɑn/USA pronunciation n. [countable], pl. -crons, -cra /-krə/.USA pronunciationWordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Weights and Measuresthe millionth part of a meter.
mi•cron (mī′kron),USA pronunciation n., pl. -crons, -cra (mī′kron),USA pronunciation
- Weights and MeasuresAlso called micrometer. the millionth part of a meter. Symbol: μ, mu
- Chemistry[Physical Chem.]a colloidal particle whose diameter is between 0.2 and 10 microns.
- [Physics.]a very small unit of pressure, equal to that exerted by a column of mercury 1μ high.
- Greek mīkrón a little, noun, nominal use of neuter singular of mīkrós small; see -on1
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
micron /ˈmaɪkrɒn/ n ( pl -crons, -cra /
'micron' also found in these entries: