- a formal or literary word for seaman
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
mar•i•ner /ˈmærənɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a person who directs or assists in the sailing of a ship;
mar•i•ner (mar′ə nər),USA pronunciation n.
- a person who directs or assists in the navigation of a ship;
- Aerospace(cap.) one of a series of U.S. space probes that obtained scientific information while flying by or orbiting around the planets Mars, Mercury, and Venus.
- Anglo-French; Old French marinier. See marine, -er2
- Middle English 1250–1300
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged seafarer. See sailor.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
mariner /ˈmærɪnə/ n
'mariner' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):