- a boy or young man
- informal a familiar form of address for any male
- a lively or dashing man or youth (esp in the phrase a bit of a lad)
- a young man whose behaviour is characteristic of male adolescents, esp in being rowdy, macho, or immature
- Brit a boy or man who looks after horses
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
lad /læd/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a boy or youth;
lad (lad),USA pronunciation n.
LinguisticsSee language acquisition device.
- a boy or youth.
- Informal Termsa familiar or affectionate term of address for a man;
- British Termsa stable boy.
- ?; compare late Old English Ladda (nickname)
- Middle English ladde 1250–1300
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
lad /læd/ n
'lad' also found in these entries:
Ballad of Reading Gaol, The - Housman - Jacob's ladder - accommodation ladder - aerial ladder - ballad opera - ballad stanza - bill of lading - boy - boyo - broadside - bugger - callant - chicken ladder - companion ladder - corporate ladder - currency - dick - extension ladder - faith - fish ladder - garçon - gillie - gossoon - hook and ladder - hook-and-ladder company - jack ladder - jock - jockey - ladder - ladder back - ladder company - ladder polymer - ladder stitch - ladder tournament - ladder track - ladder truck - laddie - lade - language acquisition device - lass - lathe - latigo - lead - load - lode - loon - order bill of lading - palikar - pilot ladder