- paint applied thickly, so that brush and palette knife marks are evident
- the technique of applying paint in this way
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
im•pas•to (im pas′tō, -pä′stō),USA pronunciation n. [Painting.]
- Fine Artthe laying on of paint thickly.
- Fine Artthe paint so laid on.
- Ceramicsenamel or slip applied to a ceramic object to form a decoration in low relief.
- Italian, noun, nominal derivative of impastare to impaste
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
impasto /ɪmˈpæstəʊ/ n
'impasto' also found in these entries: