- a situation in which progress is blocked; an insurmountable difficulty; stalemate; deadlock
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
im•passe /ˈɪmpæs/USA pronunciation n. [count;WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a situation from which there is no escape:The discussions reached an impasse.
im•passe (im′pas, im pas′),USA pronunciation n.
- a position or situation from which there is no escape;
- a road or way that has no outlet;
- French, equivalent. to im- im-2 + -passe, stem of passer to pass
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged stalemate, standstill, standoff, dead end.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
impasse /æmˈpɑːs; ˈæmpɑːs; ɪmˈpɑːs; ˈɪmpɑːs/ n
'impasse' also found in these entries: