- a member of any of various light cavalry regiments in European armies, renowned for their elegant dress
- a Hungarian horseman of the 15th century
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
hus•sar (hŏŏ zär′),USA pronunciation n.
- (originally) one of a body of Hungarian light cavalry formed during the 15th century.
- a member of a class of similar troops, usually with striking or flamboyant uniforms, in European armies.
- Medieval Latin cursārius corsair
- Serbo-Croatian hȕsār brigand, pirate
- Hungarian huszár
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
hussar /hʊˈzɑː/ n
'hussar' also found in these entries: