- a boisterous square dance
- a party at which hoedowns are danced
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
hoe•down /ˈhoʊˌdaʊn/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Music and Dance[countable] a community party usually featuring folk and square dances.
- Music and Dance[uncountable] a square dance.
hoe•down (hō′doun′),USA pronunciation n.
- Music and Dancea community dancing party typically featuring folk and square dances accompanied by lively hillbilly tunes played on the fiddle.
- Music and Dancethe hillbilly or country music typical of a hoedown.
- hoe + down1 1835–45, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
hoedown /ˈhəʊˌdaʊn/ n US Canadian
'hoedown' also found in these entries: