- a large pile of hay, esp one built in the open air and covered with thatch
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
hay•stack /ˈheɪˌstæk/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Agriculturea stack of hay built up in a field.
- a needle in a haystack, something difficult to find:Looking for someone in this mob is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
hay•stack (hā′stak′),USA pronunciation n.
- Agriculturea stack of hay with a conical or ridged top, built up in the mowed field so as to prevent the accumulation of moisture and promote drying.
- late Middle English. See hay, stack 1425–75
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
haystack /ˈheɪˌstæk/, hayrick /ˈheɪˌrɪk/ n
'haystack' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):