- seeds or fragments of grass or straw
- US Canadian informal derogatory a yokel
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
hay•seed /ˈheɪˌsid/USA pronunciation n.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Agriculture[uncountable] grass seed, esp. that shaken out of hay.
- [countable] an unsophisticated person from a rural area;
hay•seed (hā′sēd′),USA pronunciation n.
- Agriculturegrass seed, esp. that shaken out of hay.
- Agriculturesmall bits of the chaff, straw, etc., of hay.
- an unsophisticated person from a rural area;
- hay + seed 1570–80
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
hayseed /ˈheɪˌsiːd/ n
'hayseed' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):