- a canvas bag for provisions or equipment, carried on the back or shoulder
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
hav•er•sack /ˈhævɚˌsæk/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a bag with a single strap for wearing over one shoulder.
hav•er•sack (hav′ər sak′),USA pronunciation n.
- a single-strapped bag worn over one shoulder and used for carrying supplies.
- Militarya soldier's bag for rations, extra clothing, etc.
- Old Norse hafrar oats) + Sack sack1
- German Habersack, equivalent. to Haber oats (compare dialect, dialectal English haver
- French havresac
- earlier havresack 1740–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
haversack /ˈhævəˌsæk/ n