- a person who prospects or digs for gold
- informal a woman who uses her sexual attractions to accumulate gifts and wealth or advance her social position
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
gold dig•ger /ˈgoʊld ˌdɪgɚ/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- a person who digs for gold.
- Informal Termsa person who feigns romantic interest in another while in fact looking for financial gain.
- a person who seeks or digs for gold in a gold field.
- Informal Termsa woman who associates with or marries a man chiefly for material gain.
- 1820–30, American.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
'gold digger' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):