- any cultivated geraniaceous plant of the genus Pelargonium, having scarlet, pink, or white showy flowers
See also pelargonium
- any geraniaceous plant of the genus Geranium, such as cranesbill and herb Robert, having divided leaves and pink or purplish flowers
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
ge•ra•ni•um /dʒɪˈreɪniəm/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Plant Biologya common garden plant with small white, pink, or red flowers and rounded leaves.
ge•ra•ni•um ( ji rā′nē əm),USA pronunciation n.
- Plant Biologyany of numerous plants of the genus Geranium, which comprises the crane's-bills.
- Plant Biologythe wild geranium, G. maculatum, of eastern North America, having loose clusters of lavender flowers.
- Plant BiologyAlso called stork's-bill. any of various plants of the allied genus Pelargonium, native to southern Africa, having showy flowers or fragrant leaves, widely cultivated in gardens and as houseplants.
- Plant Biologya flower of this plant.
- a vivid red color.
- Greek geránion name for various plants the fruit of which was thought to resemble a crane's bill, derivative of géranos crane; akin to Latin grūs
- Neo-Latin, for Latin geranion
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
geranium /dʒɪˈreɪnɪəm/ n
'geranium' also found in these entries (note: many are not synonyms or translations):
Jerusalem oak - Lady Washington geranium - alfilaria - cactus geranium - costmary - cranesbill - crowfoot - fancy geranium - feather geranium - fish geranium - flame-of-the-woods - geraniaceous - geraniol - geranium family - herb Robert - ivy geranium - jungle geranium - lemon geranium - mint geranium - mother-of-thousands - nutmeg geranium - oak-leaved geranium - pelargonium - rose geranium - saxifrage family - show geranium - spotted crane's-bill - stork's-bill - strawberry geranium - wild geranium - zonal geranium