- a ratio of two expressions or numbers other than zero
- any part or subdivision
- a small piece; fragment
- a component of a mixture separated by a fractional process, such as fractional distillation
- the formal breaking of the bread in Communion
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
frac•tion /ˈfrækʃən/USA pronunciation n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Mathematicsa number usually expressed in the form a/b.
- a part of a whole;
portion:Only a fraction of the members voted.
- a very small part or segment:You can now buy this software at only a fraction of the original cost.
frac•tion (frak′shən),USA pronunciation n.
- a number usually expressed in the form a/b.
- a ratio of algebraic quantities similarly expressed.
- Chemistry(in a volatile mixture) a component whose range of boiling point temperatures allows it to be separated from other components by fractionation.
- a part as distinct from the whole of anything;
portion or section:The meeting started with a fraction of us present.
- a very small part or segment of anything;
minute portion:Only a fraction of the work was completed on time.
- a very small amount;
a little bit:It was only a fraction away from completion.
- a piece broken off;
fragment or bit.
- the act of breaking.
- Religion[Eccles.](in a Eucharistic service) the breaking of the Host.
- to divide or break into fractions, sections, factions, etc.:Dissension threatens to fraction the powerful union.
- Late Latin frāctiōn- (stem of frāctiō) a breaking (in pieces), equivalent. to Latin frāct(us) (past participle of frangere to break) + -iōn- -ion
- Middle English fraccioun 1350–1400
- 3, 6.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See part.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
fraction /ˈfrækʃən/ n
'fraction' also found in these entries:
McLeod gauge - Raoult's law - absorptivity - acridine - aliquot - bottom - cancel - candle - cloud cover - cologarithm - common fraction - complex fraction - compound fraction - continued fraction - cycle billing - decay time - decimal - decimal fraction - denominator - diffraction - divider - effraction - eighteenth - eighth - eightieth - eleventh - ephemeris second - fifteenth - fifth - fiftieth - fortieth - fractional - fractionate - fractionize - fractious - gamma globulin - gate - hair - hundredth - ice sheet - immunoglobulin - improper fraction - inflationary universe - kelvin - lamina - lead - light - ligroin - millionth - mixed number