- anti-aircraft fire or artillery
- informal a great deal of adverse criticism
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
flak or flack /flæk/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Militaryantiaircraft fire.
- strong criticism or opposition:The candidate took a lot of flak from the press.
flak (flak),USA pronunciation n.
- Militaryantiaircraft fire, esp. as experienced by the crews of combat airplanes at which the fire is directed.
abuse:Such an unpopular decision is bound to draw a lot of flak from the press.
- German Fl(ieger)a(bwehr)k(anone) antiaircraft gun, equivalent. to Flieger aircraft (literally, flyer) + Abwehr defense + Kanone gun, cannon
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
flak, flack /flæk/ n
'flak' also found in these entries: