- to become or cause to become fixed
- to engage in fixation
- (tr; usually passive) informal to obsess or preoccupy
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2020
fix•ate /ˈfɪkseɪt/USA pronunciation v. [~ + on + object], -at•ed, -at•ing.WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
- Psychiatryto have a preoccupation with:He has been fixating on becoming rich.
fix•ate (fik′sāt),USA pronunciation v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
- to fix;
make stable or stationary.
- to become fixed.
- Psychiatryto develop a fixation;
suffer an arrest in one's emotional or sexual development.
- Latin fix(us) fixed, firm (see fix) + -ate1
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
fixate /ˈfɪkseɪt/ vb